Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Only Sorority I'd Join

It was an estrogen-fest of the highest order.

While today's luncheon at Plant Zero to celebrate Belle's 2012 Women in the Arts included some men (husbands, co-workers, publishers), it was mostly my people.

Even better for me, I'd had the privilege to interview and write the profiles for all six honorees, here.

And if that sounds like work, let me clarify that it was a real pleasure to meet six such interesting women and spend time talking to them.

Besides, freelance writers don't get invited to big glorious mid-day meals all that often.

After plenty of time to mingle, we all found our assigned tables and the eating began.

Asian salad with chicken, sweet potato biscuits with apricot butter and rice pudding kept everyone's mouths occupied for a short time before the main event.

Publisher Jason Roop began the proceedings by saying, "I see that someone put an empty chair up here. Whatever that means."

It meant a good laugh for all the artsy types in the room.

One by one the honorees were called up to accept their award and say a few words.

Janine Bell of Elegba Folklore Society began by quoting Gil Scott-Heron and got empathetic applause for saying, "Shameless plug! The Amazing Race has until 6 p.m. tonight."

She closed with, "I invite you to embrace the spirit."

Sonya Clark, chair of VCU's Craft/Material Studies program, started by gazing at the crowd. "Look at this roomful of people," she exhorted. "We need this."

She was right, as a gathering of people devoted to the arts, it was an impressive showing.

Her enthusiasm for the local arts scene came through in her statement, "I am never, ever bored here," a sentiment I second.

"Embrace creativity as a community," she closed.

Li Jian, VMFA's east Asian curator was aglow today since the luncheon coincided with the long-awaited opening of her Japanese, Chinese and Korean galleries at the museum.

Speaking about the museum, she respectfully acknowledged, "We're very honored for all the support we receive," inviting everyone to come check out the museum's outstanding collections.

Philanthropist True Luck shared her optimism, saying, "Giving back to the community is a universal opportunity." She would know given her years of work for the Visual Art Center.

"My wish for all ages is to take advantage of art. The VMFA is the crown jewel of museums."

I couldn't have clapped louder to show my agreement.

Photographer and teacher Georgianne Stinnett offered congratulations to all the women in the room.

"I feel like I'm in this really cool sorority," she said and I could see just what she meant.

Earlier I'd met Georgianne's mother, a delightful woman who'd come to see her daughter honored.

Georgianne thanked her late father and present mother and I could only imagine how proud my own parents would have felt in the same situation.

SPARC's Erin Foley-Thomas told of her parents' concern when she opted for a career in the theater, their fear for her financial instability.

There was much knowing laughter about that familiar sentiment.

Erin shared stories of her parents' support and the mentors who had been instrumental in shaping her career.

One teacher, she recalled, told her, "Don't waste time doing things that doesn't speak to your heart. An idea is only as good as the action put behind it."

Being a theater person, Erin's speech was effortlessly and enthusiastically delivered, making her a hard act to follow.

Jason returned to the podium to make a crack about financial instability, reminding the audience that journalists were included in that starving artist category.

And how!

Luckily, all that was left was thanking the Belle staff, which turned out to be a gift for me when I heard my name read as the writer of the profiles and even some applause in reponse.

As good as that kind of recognition is, and it is, the best part of the event for me was having several of the women I interviewed tell me how much they'd enjoyed talking to me and how they'd gotten a sense that we should be friends.

Between that and Georgianne's mother inviting me to come visit her, I couldn't care less about my financial instability.

I know how lucky I am to be doing something that speaks to my heart.

Not to mention getting a free lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment