Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Reading for Lust, Letting Go of Heat

I've been coming down to this beach since I was seven years old and, hands down, today is the hottest day I can ever recall.

The radio says that with the heat index, it feels like 105 degrees, which is really saying something in a place with non-stop wind.

When Thing 2 and I walked this morning around 10, it was already unbearably hot on the beach, so hot in fact, that we came back and took morning naps.

Or maybe that was for other reasons.

Checking the sign on the lifeguard's chair walking back, I had to laugh about their water warning: H2O temp: Future Navy SEALS only! 55

That would be even colder than it was yesterday, but with the increased heat, it felt about the same to us and we're no future Navy anythings.

After our late morning siestas, we decided lunch was in order, specifically a retro lunch from John's Drive-in, a low-slung concrete hole in the wall on the beach road (sign in window: Owned and operated by the same family since 1980).

We couldn't bear the thought of eating in that asphalt parking lot, understandably, so we ordered and took our goodies back to the porch to enjoy lunch in the shade overlooking the ocean.

Thing 2 wanted that classic John's dolphin sandwich boat with a chocolate malted, but I couldn't resist the rockfish sandwich (but with a chocolate shake).

Besides the dolphin sandwich, John's is renowned for its variety of milkshake flavors, but I'm happy with the basics at least when it comes to shakes.

And calling either of our 10" long fish/roll combinations a sandwich is a gross understatement; it was the size of a sub.

John's retro vibe is further enhanced by the old-school crinkle-cut fries served in a red and white cardboard boat.

Served with a generous sprinkling of salt, all we needed was catsup.

And some downtime afterwards to digest.

I started my second beach read, Moll Flanders (written after Robinson Crusoe), ready for some harlotry and repentance, although I may have to take issue with a book written in 1722 by a man, but as the memoir of a lusty woman.

"I was so confounded, and driven to such extremity as the like was never known; at least not to me."

I know what you mean, sister.

Perhaps jut as engaging as the story is the book version I'm reading.

It's a 1952 Cardinal Edition paperback with a selling price of 35 cents.

As stated on the second page, this "edition includes every word contained in the original, higher-priced edition," including ten captioned illustrations from the original.

It's with a gentle touch that I turn each yellowed page, but it is definitely a kick to be reading a nearly 300-year old story from an almost 60-year old book.

Nerds are so easily tickled.

As I wind down this post, the temperature and wind have abruptly changed.

That hot air from the west has been replaced with brisk northeastern air and the promise of a thunderstorm.

Time for happy hour and a lightening show on the porch.

If you'll excuse me...

No comments:

Post a Comment