Saturday, June 12, 2010

DIshing in Dawn

Gladys took my $7 and welcomed me. Pat led me to the food table and invited me to sit at her table with Alma and Evelyn. Irene was in charge of the whole event and walked the room like a general overseeing her troops. Tilly wasn't there at the moment, but she'd done loads of work behind the scenes. And Delores made the coleslaw, a fact I know only because she'd used a Magic Marker to write her name across the lid of the enormous pink Tupperware bowl that held it, a bowl that was the width of my shoulders.

What's in a vintage name? Everything it would appear when you're at a Fish Fry Benefit at the Dawn Community Center in Hanover County. As I've mentioned before, I love community eating events, like this and this, the kind that don't much happen anymore except in more rural areas. Having never been to a fish fry and jumble sale, I'd had this date marked on my calendar since the salt fish breakfast at the firehouse.

The community of Dawn is trying to raise funds to build a new library and, being the book nerd that I am, I wanted to help support that effort. Plus I love some good fried trout and that's what was on the menu, along with Delores' coleslaw, another neighbor's potato salad, which could have been made with my own mother's recipe, and someone else's baked beans containing almost as much bacon as beans in them.

A White House roll completed the plate and for dessert, they had slices of lemon pound cake in individual baggies in case you were too full and wanted to take yours home (I did, after taking one bite of the cake crust, my favorite part). What more could a city girl want?

The trout was being fried up continuously by two sweaty volunteers out behind the community center, a hot as hell effort on a day like today. It was so perfectly cooked that I didn't even bother with propriety and just used my plastic fork to hold it in place while I tore off crispy bites of the enormous piece I'd been given.

My table mates were full of curiosity about how I'd found out about the event and why I would bother driving up 301 for it. I explained my love for books (and fried trout) and my enthusiasm for community eating events. After a while, we were so comfortable with each other that we started talking about ourselves; Pat is a transplant from NOVA, so we discussed the shift to central Virginia that we've both made. Alma hates wearing athletic shoes because they make her feet feel confined, so we talked about going barefoot versus open-style shoes.

Evelyn just wanted to get my take on upcoming events and what other city folk might find interesting enough to drive up for. As the least representative person to speak for my fellow Richmonders, I just suggested better advertising (they didn't even have a sign for today's event) so that they might reach other oddballs like me. Alma only half-jokingly suggested that they needed me on their Board. Gladys asked for my e-mail address so that they could notify me of future fundraisers.

I had such a good time lunching with these ladies and enjoying the fruits of the community's labor. When I'd first come in, I must have stuck out like a sore thumb, though, because one of the first questions directed at me had been, "Are you from Ladysmith?" Despite that erroneous assumption, they'd kindly taken to me as if I'd just moved to Dawn and they were the welcoming committee.

I was terribly flattered that they were as interested in talking to me as I was to them. As we said our goodbyes well over an hour later, they were all but beaming at me. Pat capped it off with, "You're going to be the talk of our next Board meeting."

No, no, I'm just a fish fry fan. You charming ladies did me the favor. Let's get that library built.

12 comments:

  1. Wish I had known about it. Now you will be their future go-to advertising department!

    Am I going crazy but did you take down a post from yesterday (maybe the day before?) that had me (and most likely many others) scratching my head? (Please don't post this comment if you don't want or if I have inadvertently embarrassed you!) You certainly had me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She needs to take more down. Every other post on Eating Richmond is from this one freaking blog. Really, really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you're right although it was replaced with the post about Historical Conquesting. SInce it was already after 2 a.m., I wanted to allow myself time to process some things.

    Or, as my editor put it when wishing me a good birthday, "I mean to wish you many more stimulating moments to write about. (And more importantly stuff you can't, don't write about!)"

    Some things I just can't/don't write about.

    Thanks for reading what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous-
    Thanks for the community service announcement and reading another "annoying" blog post in order to leave it. Don't click on the links to this blog if it's not your thing. I enjoy Karen's posts and her busy calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought you would sit down at a community fish fry and chat things up with Alma and Gladys. It is almost beyond my imagination, but I am proud of you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't you just love that the complainers remain anonymous. How completely gutless.
    Here's a simple and gracious solution Anonymous - just go away. Quietly go somewhere else.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous,

    You should probably direct your complaint about my blog being on eatingrichmond to Jason, who runs the site.

    Jason contacted ME asking if he could add my blog to his site and I declined, saying that it wasn't a food blog. He disagreed, saying that food was in the background or foreground of nearly every post I wrote.

    I felt sure that serious foodies would not be looking for blogs such as mine on ER and still Jason persisted. I finally relented and he kindly said I could have it taken down if, at any point, it didn't work out for me.

    I have heard from multiple ER readers that they appreciated discovering me there and that my posts are an interesting addition to the ER norm, so I have left it on the site.

    As for being prolific, I make no apologies. It's easy enough to simply skip any posts that don't interest you; everyone does. I am well aware that I'm not everyone's cuppa tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a lot more interesting than the "I'm healthier than thou" sorts on EATING RICHMOND. Don't these people have lives?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my hero, cfootsoup! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. De nada. It irks me that some folk think that the horrid concoction they whipped up in the Osterizer for brekkers is "interesting".

    I might as well put up my receipt for "CANDY CORN CASSEROLE"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am one of those who discovered this blog on ER and thank heavens I did because I was losing faith in the whole aggregator for reasons detailed by cfootsoup.

    Karen your writing manages to do your intense and interesting social life justice, and I thank you very much for sharing. I've been meaning to pop in and comment and say "hi, I read, and thanks for letting me," for awhile now, I suppose this seemed an appropriate point to do so.

    Your blog does much more than vault above and beyond the "healthy" (since when is fanaticism healthy?) photo-food diaries. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. insighttoriot,

    Thanks so much for making your presence known.

    I must admit that I had concerns when that anonymous poster left his comment that his feelings represented those of the majority of ER readers (which had been my concern all along).

    And, btw, your compliments about my writing and social life were much appreciated. I love hearing that sort of thing, but then, who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete