Friday, August 7, 2009

Older Hipster Crowd Represents

The crowd at Gallery 5 last night for the Tulsa Drone/Suzukiton/Ancient Sky/Heliotropes show was treated to a musical smorgasbord.

I mean everything from the psychedelic and jazz-infused to full-on metal/hardcore and ending with the experimental ambient goodness that is Tulsa Drone.

I am a big fan of drummer Kevin Cornell from Marionette, but I'd never heard him as part of Tulsa Drone.

Last night offered the chance to correct that oversight...and talk to Kevin about Marionette's new EP, of which I was gifted with an advance copy.

It's excellent stuff and I'm eagerly awaiting their CD release party next month.

Tulsa Drone is one of those local bands who don't play a lot of shows, so you have to catch them when you can.

And, as I found out, they'll be well worth it.

I was also impressed with Ancient Sky (a band with two Richmonders who ended up in Brooklyn in its line-up) playing bluesy Americana rock with elements of jazz and gospel thrown in for good measure.

It was interesting stuff and I didn't feel like I'd heard it all before.

I mentioned to my photographer friend that the crowd was not one I'd seen before at G5.

Patiently, he explained that it was the older hipster crowd who used to go to lots of shows, only now they have to get babysitters so they don't go out much.

But apparently even older hipsters aren't willing to pass up a rare Tulsa Drone show, so there they were, out in force.

Use it or lose it, I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment