Sunday, August 9, 2009

I'm Trying Out this Perpetual Motion Thing

I feel like the last time I took a breath was yesterday about noon and it's been non-stop ever since. First I went to the Jonny Z Fest over on Shields where I ran into loads of people I knew, either selling their wares or volunteering for art's sake. It was hot as hell and totally worth it. There's so much artistic talent in Richmond and I love seeing so much of it on display. Plus I had the chance to discuss the My Bloody Valentine show with half a dozen concert-goers.

Next up was the reopening of Geometry Park, now re-christened Paradise Park. Colorful paint made a huge difference to this oasis, which I thought always had a hard-edged industrial vibe. The kids' hand prints, leaf prints and mural added a lot to the charm of the new park and the extensive shade was much appreciated. Does anyone not have memories of hanging out here for one reason or another?

Then I took a couple of lobster roll virgins to Black Sheep to be de-flowered. Yes, they were impressed with the hunks of succulent lobster on buttered rolls and now it's their job to help me spread the word. Best of all, it was after 2 by the time we lunched, so the the Black Sheep crowds were gone.

Dinner was at Julep and included plenty of ambiance because of the fact that none of the street lights came on last night. As I sat in the restaurant eating and drinking, it was kind of eerie to observe the growing darkness outside, unaided by any artificial city light. It did make locating my black car more challenging than usual, even with the able assistance of the waiter Ben.

Today began with two friends and a bottle of Horton Sparkling Viognier and ended at Tarrant's with mimosas and lotsa food. One of my friends is moving to San Francisco in a week, so she felt obligated to have an east coast crab cake while she still could. She also provided a hilarious story about a mutual acquaintance which I had never heard before (actually only the participants knew of it) and it was the kind of amazing, "you did what?" story that you think only happens in movies. Melting wax from Michael's is all I'm going to say.

I was all set to take a deep breath when I looked at the clock and realized a friend will be stopping by for wine before we go out...in an hour and a half. Perhaps I should get cleaned up and ready to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment