Sunday, May 3, 2009

Lunatics, Lovers and Poets

Of all Shakespeare's plays, I've probably seen A Midsummer Night's Dream more frequently than any other, not necessarily by choice, but because it's performed with such regularity.

I added to that lifetime tally last night with Richmond Shakespeare's current version.

And I still found an awful lot to like in this latest staging.

With only five actors and assorted costume changes, 21 characters were brought to life in often hilarious ways.

My primary reason for wanting to see the play was the actor who played Theseus, Lysander, Flute, Oberon (and handled the puppets as Peaceblossom and Cobweb).

I had met Brandon Crowder once before and heard he was a terrific actor; he exceeded everything I had heard.

At times sniveling and pathetic, sometimes hysterically gay and also superb at playing the superior to his underlings, his every move was worth watching.

When he pranced, even his little toes were prancing and his lithe grace sprinting from tabletop to floor was a thing of beauty.

As a bonus, an actress I knew only as a fellow restaurant diner and avid reader, Kerry McGee, handled Hermia, Starveling and Puck with great aplomb.

She was lovelorn, simple and a troublemaker by turn and completely believable in each role.

Next time I see her reading while eating out, I'll have to interrupt and tell her how impressive she was.

This production will be the last for the troupe at Second Presbyterian's chapel and I, for one, will miss the space.

While it's not ideal with its long, narrow configuration, its wooden arches, balcony and Gothic ceiling were the perfect setting for period plays.

The upcoming new performing arts facility, Center Stage, will have some big shoes to fill if it is to be as well-suited a place to stage Shakespeare as Second Presbyterian and Agecroft Hall have been.

Listen to me...you'd think I was a native Richmonder, already lamenting the way things used to be.

Actually, I'm happy to see well done Shakespeare wherever I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment