Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yes, But Can It Lure Me Out of the City Again?

I know I'm late to jump on the bandwagon, but I finally made it to Trader Joe's to check the place out.

I'd been to a Whole Foods before, so I haven't made a point of checking out the RVA store, but I'd never been to a TJ's, so I decided to see for myself.

Two things immediately jumped out at me: they've got a lot of inventory in a relatively small store and good gawd, there were so many people in the store!

Perhaps the newness hasn't worn off yet or perhaps Richmond was just so TJ's-starved that we can't get enough of the place, but you had to really pay attention not to be run over or bump into other shoppers.

That made it a bit tough for a first-timer who was just trying to take it all in.

The highlight was discovering pound and a half containers of blueberries for only $5.99!

I've been paying $3.99 for 6 ounces at Kroger, and I eat blueberries every day of my life, so that was a lovely find (and a huge savings for this unemployed blueberry eater).

I'd been told that the frozen food section was worth trolling at TJ's, so I did and saw some interesting options.

Over at the dairy case, they were offering samples of their lobster ravioli and I have to admit, it was pretty tasty.

That went into the basket.

The large wine section was crawling with winos, so I didn't even attempt that.

Would I go back?

My hatred of shopping is legendary, but the exception to that rule is grocery shopping, and this place was interesting enough for a return visit.

The problem is it's in god-forsaken Short Pump, a place I avoid like the plague.

Hmm, a rock and a hard place dilemma.

We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. i hate short pump

    i try to stay btween church hill & carytown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto.

    Your world maps out exactly like my world and provides everything I need.

    And I've never been back to TJ's.

    ReplyDelete