Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pipes and Pipelines

Why did it take me so long to break out of my same-old, same-old walking route?

Since it was 55 degrees when I got up today, it only seemed appropriate to head down to the river.

But instead of the route I'd taken Monday to do the same, this time I went down Belvidere to Byrd where I spotted a path alongside the Ethyl headquarters on the hill.

Sure, there was a gate blocking the path, but I also saw a young woman and her dog strolling down there, so at least I'd have company if we got hauled in for trespassing.

As I passed her, she greeted me and gave me a warning. "Be careful further on because my dog went off on the grass and the ground was hollow under him, so he started falling in. Stay on the path."

Will do, I assured her.

I followed it down to the back of Tredegar, unsure where I'd be able to cut back to the sidewalk, and just as I spotted an open gate, I heard bagpipes.

Now that was something I wasn't expecting but what could be lovelier than hearing that distinctive sound carried up on a river breeze?

I followed the music down Fifth Street, crossing the new pedestrian bridge to Brown's Island, which, I learned from reading a sign, now has free wi-fi.

After all, the river and scenery couldn't possibly be interesting enough to occupy visitors to the island, she said, tongue firmly in cheek.

After watching the guy play bagpipes for a while, I turned to cross the island, having just decided I would walk the pipeline trail.

Midway across, I saw a familiar face and then a couple more, all of them out of context.

My music world and my walking world were colliding right there at the riverfront.

It was the prettiest part of the Speckled Bird, Antonia, along with her music-loving parental units and her own progeny, baby Casimir, looking handsome and happy to be out on a beautiful morning.

We discussed the unlikeliness of hearing a bagpiper on our respective walks, but as she, an accordion player, noted, you can't practice bagpipes just anywhere.

I said what had surprised me was that he'd brought them down here on a bike, a risky endeavor I would think given how expensive they are and the possibility, however remote, of a spill.

But when the muse calls...

They were headed off the island as was I, but in opposite directions so I continued on to pick up the path through the woods, finding one section had been toilet-papered for some inconceivable reason, to get to the trail.

There are so many pleasures to walking the pipeline, from the balancing act of walking the uneven cement-covered section to seeing the huge flock of geese sunning on the rocks to the powerful sound of rushing water over falls and rocks.

Sadly, a glance up at the building fronting the river there (Vistas on the James maybe?) revealed not a single window open to that beautiful sound.

If I lived within hearing range of water in motion, you'd better believe I'd have my window open on a 55-degree day.

Of course, there's also a chance that the windows don't open and if that's the case, that's just tragic. Why live on the river if you can't hear or smell it through an open window?

Making a U-turn at the end of the pipeline, I went back the way I'd come and found the bagpiper packing up and mounting his bike.

I'd have liked to have heard more, but since I hadn't expected music at all, I felt fortunate to have heard any.

So many rewards for getting off my own beaten path.

No comments:

Post a Comment