Friday, September 13, 2013

Cool Girls Meet-up

Sometimes the best nights start with a question.

"On the unlikely chance that you don't have plans, I'm available for supper tonight."

The fact was, I did have plans tonight to meet up with my Style Weekly compatriots at Southern Railway Taphouse.

The new bar/restaurant in the former deli was tough to find a place to park, but easy to spot the group of writers and sales people.

And while I was late to the party, I arrived in time for the door prizes (I didn't win) and the trivia contest (my food editor did not go to Woodstock, despite many guesses that she had) and an over-priced Don Julio ($12).

At the bar, I ran into a man who recognized my name, remembered my byline and professed to be a regular reader of my work.

"I read you all the time, " he claimed. "And I recognize you!"

That's just creepy, sir. We've never met.

The good news was I had a blast getting to meet all sorts of people I knew only by name and heard stories of a Carver resident who never goes to the Camel and the real Woodstock attendee who saw a guy (tripping) waggling his member against a girl's nose.

The new hire who'd moved from Boston got a lecture from me about being more active in the scene.

I also heard details of several people's trip to Hopscotch, San Fermin being a decided highlight, and joined the discussion of what the Folk Fest coverage should be, at least ideally.

Until we get the Folk Fest right, we can't possibly begin to plan an alternative music festival a la Hopscotch.

And that's definitely one thing we need to do in order to put Richmond on the map.

In the mean time, I'm just trying to meet my co-workers and have some conversation.

"It's always the cool girls who get left behind," the music writer observed once the higher-ups had cleared out, leaving us to dish about discovering bands, ears ringing and day drinking.

Ain't that a shame?

2 comments:

  1. REFERENCE:

    "I read you all the time," [he claimed].."and recognize you!" -- "that's just creepy sir, we've never met."

    but au contraire.. that's the way of the modern world, especially for someone as yourself who's put so much of yourself out in the vitual world for all to see and know..where you go,where you live.."the Ward" what you see, like, dislike, people, places, events...not counting facebook, (photos), local freelancing etc. One would assume you'd be used to it by now. Now ..not that I'm complaining. Check your profile. That about says it all. However as your reader I find it enjoyable but it's a small pond & it's easy to rub shoulders around here. Creepy? ...sometimes I suppose but remember we're Southerns here...just be polite & move on.

    cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course, cw. It never occurs to me that someone might try to find me online after reading one of my articles, but that is the way of the world now. Just because I don't do it doesn't mean others don't.

    I talked to the guy for ten minutes, so it didn't affect my interaction with him and he was very nice.

    Instead of "creepy," I probably should have written "surprising" instead.

    ReplyDelete