Sunday, August 12, 2012

Get a Little Action In

Saturday night's alright for fighting.

That and dating, 'cause Saturday is definitely date night.

Which means if I decide to go eat by myself in a restaurant, I am guaranteed to be surrounded by couples.

So it was at the Magpie.

With me at the bar were the aging blond rock star and his date (she paid the bill) and how she put up with his endless bragging, I'll never know.

Two seats away and I got tired of hearing how the girls adored him onstage.

There was the couple who spent the length of two drinks talking about stuff: the number of diamonds in her new ring, the options on his new car, how chilly she was in her new leather jacket.

Boring.

In other words, I was pretty satisfied being by myself.

When I ordered a glass of Semeli "Feast" Moschofilero, a Greek blend promising crisp acidity and an intense nose of peach and rose petals, the bartender informed me that it was the owner's favorite.

I continue to be impressed with the array of Greek wines showing up locally lately and their low price points don't hurt, either.

"I like value in wine," the owner laughed matter-of-factly when I told her how much I liked the Feast.

While all around me couples did the mating game (or, in some cases, spent more time looking at their phones than talking to their date), I took advantage of the cooler evening and ordered tonight's soup.

It was a roasted corn with bacon and, as it turns out, some unbilled poblano, making for an unexpected but welcome heat.

I can always count on Magpie's soundtrack to relive the old days and tonight's music was no exception.

"Listen Like Thieves" gave way to "Show Me" which begot "Girlfriend in a Coma," et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (can you tell I saw "The King and I" a few days ago?).

For my next course, I got banana-crusted scallops with spiced rum reduction and (wait for it) vanilla gelato.

The thick, sweet sauce was beautiful with the scallops and the gelato, which conveniently also satisfied my sweet tooth.

By the time the bartender asked me about dessert, I had no need of anything further.

Well, except perhaps a date. It is Saturday night, after all.

And I'm really not a fighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment