Tuesday, March 13, 2012

As I Like It

"Do you not know I am a woman? When I think, I must speak."

If I were looking for a statement of life philosophy, that might be it, although I'd have to give Shakespeare credit for the wording, if not the sentiment.

So with lots on my mind and the resulting lots to speak, I met a friend at Six Burner after she messaged me, "You have a  lot to share!"

You talking to me?

And while we weren't exactly outside on this gorgeous day, all the front windows in the restaurant were wide open, allowing balmy, spring-like air to waft through the restaurant.

The only thing lacking by not being outside was the exhaust fumes of Main Street traffic.

"Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?"

Despite my friend's penchant for chewy red wine, even she had to acknowledge that today was not a day for it.

Instead, we went the sparkling route with Fita Azul Passion Rose because who couldn't use a little more passion in their life?

"I pray you, do not fall in love with me, For I am falser than vows made in wine."

Over talk of men with beards that need trimming, terribly attentive dates and homecomings, we slurped up a bowl of P.E.I. mussels with bacon, bleu cheese, white wine and garlic broth.

The  creamy broth was so good we got extra bread for sopping.  My friend wanted to drink it with a straw but thought better of it.

We ran into someone she knows who's doing a piano bar here Brooklyn-style that sounds like something I need to check out.

After all, it's important not to wait too long to do what you need to do.

It's not like anyone is getting any younger.

"Sell when you can, You are not for all markets."

Just when we were trying to make plans for another get-together, I noticed the time and had to beat feet.

Richmond Shakespeare waits for no man (or woman).

This month's staged reading was "As You Like It," or another play about true love (and masked identities).

My favorite kind.

Tonight's twist was that nine of their Young Company were doing the reading, meaning lots of skinny jeans and promising talent.

"That flattering tongue of yours won me."

Nathan Johnson was especially strong as the romantic lead Orlando, but also as the fool Touchstone in a madras blazer.

Could one infer that only fools would wear such a thing?

When Orlando wants to proclaim his love for Rosalind by posting poetry all over the Forest of Arden, the actor stuck pink Post-it notes to the front row's foreheads to simulate what he was doing.

Despite being in the front row, I wasn't one of the few, the proud, the stuck.

"And faster than his tongue did make offense, his eye did heal it up."

Even with a young cast occasionally tripping over the heady language of love, it was hard not to enjoy the story of a man who's willing to woo what he thinks is a guy but is really the object of his affection.

Because doesn't a smart man woo his object any way he can?

"Answer me in one word."

1 comment: