Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Italian Philosophy

Life is like a doughnut.

Tonight that doughnut was actually a zeppole because it's Lent.

I know that only because not one, but two restaurant owners I know have told me they've given up red wine for Lent.

A Catholic friend finds it hysterical that you can give up one color or another wine instead of actually making a sacrifice and just, oh, say, give up wine altogether.

I don't know about that but I am Italian-savvy enough to know that zeppoles are only baked after Ash Wednesday.

And while I'm certainly not up on my religious holidays, I did walk by a church on Grace Street last Wednesday that said, "Ash Wednesday, Come in for Quiet Reflection."

I'm not much on ashes or quiet reflection, but I'm all about the custard-filled doughnuts Stuzzi makes every Lenten season.

So after dutifully finishing my margherita pizza and Primitivo, I happily shared with an Italian all that dough and cream and powdered sugar that are a metaphor for life.

The hard part outside with the reward inside and just enough sweetness all around to keep you coming back for more.

I'm thinking life just may be as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment