Friday, May 20, 2011

Use Me to Get to the UK

I'd like to think that it was a birthday lunch, but it was really all about British Airway points.

A long-time friend had suggested Bistro Bobbette for my birthday celebration today. That's one place that will get no argument from me ever.

After a miscommunication about where we were meeting, I finally arrived to find him halfway through a glass of Courbieres and a plate of country pate. So much for waiting for the birthday girl.

I quickly ordered some Muscadet and dove into his pate and cornichons, always a great way to start a meal at Bobette.

He felt guilty about misreading my message and making me late, but as far as I'm concerned, guilt is a great way to start a birthday lunch.

One of today's specials was a salmon terrine with spring veggies and  I wanted that for my starter. Creamy and pink, its delicate salmon flavor was a delightful spring-like beginning to my meal.

The way I see it, if someone else is willing to go to the trouble to make a terrine, I'll be the first in line to eat it. This one was no exception.

My friend was sharing with me that our lunch was the inaugural purchase on his new credit card, acquired solely for the British Airways mileage points he'd accrue through using it.

He knew a birthday lunch with me at Bobette would get him off to a great start mileage-wise. Before he knew it, he'd be in Ireland or Wales.

Our main course reflected a special and a standby, both strengths at this place. He ordered the lamb brochette over cous cous and I got the trout amandine over French green beans.

The lamb was barely medium rare, pink and perfect, and my trout crispy and buttery at the same time. We both agreed that the green beans were praise-worthy, crisp, fresh-tasting and buttery. Coincidentally, we'd both chosen the right wines for our entrees.

When it came time to refill, my friend had a surprise suggestion for me. Rather than another Muscadet, his perusal of the cocktail list had him suggesting a Bobette as the ideal libation for me now.

 And while I rarely venture beyond wine or good tequila (okay, or a good absinthe drip), this sounded tempting. "I think you'd like it," he said sweetly. What a guy!

Sparkling wine, Campari and an hibiscus flower made for a beautiful drink that tasted as good as it looked. Silly me, I assumed he'd suggested it for its festive quality but he laid it out for me.

"That gets me fifteen B.A. points," he laughed, losing him all his thoughtful friend points. It didn't matter because I like it and, to our server's great satisfaction, I also ate the flower at the end of the drink. According to her, most people leave it. Tragic.

Our final course was the croustillant with its multiple layers of crispy and creamy chocolate and just lovely with the Bobette and the end of his Courbieres.  By then, we were done. Stick a fork in us.

"Can I come to your place and take a nap?" he asked, not for the first time. Negative, I answered. "But I need to see your bookshelves," he countered, smiling.

It's true, every guy should see my bookshelves; it can only help a person understand who I am. But I can't let just everyone see my bookshelves, now can I?

Even birthday girls need to exercise a little restraint. I've got to; there's days left to go in this celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment