Friday, May 15, 2009

The L Word's Loveliest Voice

Brandi Carlisle has the kind of amazing voice that makes rabid fans out of people when they first hear her.

That voice was in fine form last night at the Lewis Ginter series Groovin' in the Garden and, despite the occasional rain sprinkles, undoubtedly made converts of anyone in the audience not already familiar with her.

And while I don't watch TV, those who do may recognize some of her songs because I was told that several were featured on "Grey's Anatomy" and used in commercials.

Last night, her cover of the Beatles' "I've Just Seen a Face" was stellar, with its emphasis on "she's just the girl for me," a lyric that caused the women dancing down in frontto swoon.

I'm not big on the whole Groovin' series (way too many families and kids) but sometimes you just have to deal. That said, I do appreciate LGBG's musical wisdom in bringing her to town.

And as Brandi pointed out, it was a beautiful setting for music and her songs of mostly heartbreak on a spring night were the perfect match for my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment