Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

When Richmond gets 6-10" of snow, like we did Sunday night into Monday morning, it's an occasion. First, when you only get this much snow every 7 years, it's easy to forget how beautifully snow transforms the landscape. The wind was strong during the snowstorm, so it found its way into nooks and crannies, highlighting architectural details and framing shapes. Birdhouses had white-covered rooves and perches. Rose and azalea bushes had snow on each leaf. The cross beams on fences were horizontal accents in white.

But the highlight of the snow had to be the 3' snow penis I spotted Monday afternoon on the hood of a car. It was surprising and amazingly accurate in detail. Sadly, when I went back to take a picture of it a few hours later, the car had been moved. I told people about it, but they wanted to see it. Oh, well.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I spotted a truck with not one, but two snow penises (one on the hood, one in the bed of the truck) announcing itself! Is this the 21st century snowman or snow angel? Was there a memo about snow penises that I missed? One I could write off as a freak thing, but three and I think I see a trend. I'm sure this says something about our culture, but I don't care to think too hard about what it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment