Thursday, March 5, 2009

DYOB* Wows the Crowd

I avoided the rush and waited until tonight to check out the new Bowtie Theater; I'd heard it was crazy-busy last weekend when it opened. Understandably, too, given that we city dwellers have had to drive to the counties for movies once we've seen whatever's at the 2-screen Westhampton (which I do love for its art film focus).

I'd read months ago that Bowtie would not show commercials, only trailers, which is a nice touch. I'm sure, for many, the attraction is the alcoholic beverages served in the concession area. My favorite innovation? You get to dispense the butter onto your popcorn yourself (DYOB)...now that's a sure way to please the customer!

I went to see Frost/Nixon because it leaves town tomorrow and I've been meaning to see it since, well, since before I got pneumonia. It was an in-depth look at the process leading to the infamous TV interviews and a sobering reminder of what a cultural shift in America's perception of the Presidency Watergate was.

Not surprisingly, everyone in the audience, like myself, was of an age that lived through the break-in and eventual resignation of Nixon. Of course, we were young and idealistic then and we were now viewing the film with older and wiser eyes and much more life experience, not that it softened my opinion of the man...even a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment