Monday, May 9, 2016

You're So Vain, You Probably Think This Blog is About You

Google says that a blog is a regularly updated website or webpage, typically run by an individual or small group that is written in an informal or conversational style.

Pretty clear-cut, right?

It's the "regularly updated" part that trips up many would-be bloggers, although I readily admit that the only time I'm not regular is when I purposely choose not to be.

Truth: if I'm not writing, there's good reason, albeit not one always shared.

What some people have difficulty grasping is that my blog is a personal thing. Yes, it's online so everyone has access to it, but it's personal in that it's nothing more than bits of my life told through the lens of how I see things, filtered by how much I choose to share.

A few years ago, a commenter took me to task for talking about what people said to me at an event rather than dwelling on the event's purpose. I not so gently informed the anonymous commenter (aren't they always?) that it's my blog and I'll parse if I want to.

Granted, I love that a favorite couple sought out my blog, knowing I'd written about the show that was their first date, to confirm their anniversary date since neither could quite recall when it had been. But that kind of thing is a bonus for others, not the reason I write.

So I'm always surprised when someone reads a post and expresses surprise that my reality differs from theirs.

I enjoyed reading your blog about our encounter. Your writing style is easy, engaging and much in line with how you are in person. I, of course, would describe our encounter differently as one would expect.

As I told the visitor from Phoenix, in all likelihood, the truth about that encounter rests squarely between my version and his. But I included enough details to remind myself of the evening for possible future reference and that's my real intention, although sometimes I offend inadvertently.

Sorry to read that you didn't enjoy lunch.

Here's the thing: I most certainly did enjoy lunch at Vagabond. How could I not? I've been a fan of the chef's food since he opened Magpie so any excuse to eat it gives me great pleasure. But my blog take on lunch acknowledged that my companion hadn't seemed quite as taken with the creativity of the menu as I was.

Not that I allowed his food preferences to affect my enjoyment of lunch because, hell, why would I? Yet his panties were in a wad because he didn't care for my personal take.

It's silly because that's just what I do for my own record keeping. When I am an old lady, I shall look back at these posts and marvel at the wonderful things people said to me, the opportunities I was offered and the fun I had along the way.

I wile away a Sunday afternoon at the VMFA, walking the galleries and the sculpture garden, scarfing an Italian sub at Chiocca's where soccer is on the screen and our server shows off her garishly bruised thigh. Those kind of details are just place markers should I want a reminder of how I spent today.

The late, great Unknown once said that a blog is merely a tool that lets you do anything from change the world to share your shopping list.

My blogging intent falls somewhere squarely in the middle of that. It's my world and welcome to it.

And if you want to know the full story, don't expect to find it here. But ask and I might just tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment