Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Perks of Being a Walker

Muggy morning, quick walk, limited time. Lots of payoffs.

On a side street, a guy walking parallel to me smiles widely from across the street, then mimes writing on his palm. Either he wants his check or my number. I proffer a smile instead.

Next block, a guy says, "I want to walk with you but I haven't got a walk that good." Says who?

Crossing the triangle, a tall, handsome man says, "What does it take to tame a woman like you?" Before I can respond (the answer is words, both spoken and written), he tells me, "You have such confidence and swing to your walk." When I attribute both to my age, he says, "I'm just happy you stopped to talk to me. If you ever want a man to appreciate you, please look me up." A card is extended.

I go three blocks before a guy calls out, "They're going to give you a ticket for sexy in public." I say I'll take my chances.

Turning the corner, a man smiles and says, "Walky, walky, you certainly don't need to exercise, young lady."

Young?

I'm wearing my typical walking ensemble, a t-shirt (today it's "Virginia is for wine lovers") and shorts like I do every day. It's cloudy enough that I don't have my usual hat on, but nothing else is different about today except that I'm in more of a hurry so it's a shorter walk.

Almost home and a guy greets me with, "Good morning, beautiful."

My quick two-miler turned into an epic walk. Compliments can be hard to come by. A girl would have to be crazy not to appreciate that kind of random affirmation

Tame?

No comments:

Post a Comment