Monday, December 9, 2013

Something That You'll Never Comprehend

For a change, I really earned my night out.

The day began by seeing the VistaVision classic,"White Christmas," at Movieland with a favorite couple, one of whom was seeing it for the first time.

I don't even know how it's possible that anyone hasn't seen this holiday chestnut, but it was a distinct pleasure to listen as he cracked up to Danny Kaye's antics and Bing's corny humor.

Fittingly, that was followed by procurement of the Christmas tree, especially novel this year because it was actually snowing for the brief time it took to choose the tree.

So very Charlie Brown Christmas-like.

Once the tree was decorated, I had writing to finish to make deadline before I could even think about heading out.

By the time my day was behind me, it was 8:30 and I couldn't get going fast enough to Helen's for a show.

I'd half expected a small crowd because of the weather and instead found the place mobbed.

Luckily, a table near the end of the bar was free and I sat down next to a couple who warned me to leave my coat on because we were so near the door which kept opening for new arrivals.

I was luckier than they were because there was a large radiator behind my back, a boon for a cold-blooded type like me.

A musician friend spotted me and came over to sit down and catch up since he was just back from a month in India and we hadn't seen each other for ages before that.

Buster Keaton, blah, blah, love life update, blah, blah, travel plans.

We took a few minutes to admire the magnificence that is Helen's Christmas decorations, from the lit-up plastic nativity scene to the small, silver pom-pom Christmas trees to the reindeer in assorted positions.

The evening's entertainment began with Haints in the Holler, a bluegrass quartet who began by wishing us happy holidays, merry Christmas and feliz navidad.

"I feel that's offensive" a smart-assed guy called out from the bar.

"We aim to offend," the drummer cleverly retorted.

With fiddle, guitar, drums, bass and sometimes banjo, mandolin and washboard, they took us on a bluegrass odyssey, admitting that they weren't "super-good" at between-song chatter.

The highlight was a song called "Dead in Kentucky" about the singer's wish to be returned to Virginia if found dead anywhere else.

Best line was, "Nothing beats drinking in Richmond" and it got a lot of cheers when they sang it.

Following them was a band that many in the crowd had come to see, Dear Ghosts.

I hadn't heard the name, but I had seen half of the band, Lucy Dacus, perform at a Ghost Light afterparty a while back and remembered her stellar voice.

With her in this band was Adam Watkins and while it took a few minutes to get into their sound, I soon found myself terribly impressed with their sad songs.

Both had beautiful voices that blended together to tug at your heartstrings, sort of a lo-fi She and Him minus the chirpy side of that sound.

Adam sang, played guitar and occasional drum while Lucy sang and played some ukulele.

From the first few notes of "I Would Die For You," I knew we were in for a treat because it was one of the songs I'd heard Lucy do and knew how impressively she'd owned it.

It was even more impressive with Adam, slowed down to a languorous pace and truly the essence of a great cover as they made it wholly their own.

Afterwards, Lucy announced, "That wasn't our song, that was Prince," and I turned to my friend and asked if it was really possible that anyone in the room hadn't known that.

"Maybe," he said reluctantly. That's just tragic.

When they ended their set, the DJ across the table from me said that he, too, had taken a moment to figure them out and then really liked their sound.

All I can say is I can't wait to hear more of them soon.

During the set-up for the traveling band, another musician friend came by and we got into a discussion of the history of psychedelic music and mind-expanding psychedelia practices in general.

Recommending a documentary and a book, the man clearly knew his psychedelia.

The reason for tonight's show was Florida band Teach Me Equals, a duo with enormous dramatic stage presence who were sonically compelling and went on to play their new record for us.

He played cello like a madman, all but destroying his first bow in five songs by shredding, when he wasn't playing it like a guitar, beating on it or blowing into the hollow.

She was appealingly fast on guitar when she wasn't tearing it up on violin, playing it like a ukulele, drumming on it or singing/blowing into it.

I'd seen Dave Watkins do all those things to his dulcitar, but never seen them done to a violin or cello.

My friend and I were constantly craning our heads to see how they were making their sounds.

Songs, not so much, but edgy, experimental soundscapes, absolutely.

I gladly threw money into the donation jar to help keep these guys in gas money while on this tour.

The show finished up with Lobo Marino, just back from a month in India, and off to who knows where next month.

It's always a pleasure to hear what new influences they've picked up on their travels, which occupy what seems to be 90% of their time.

Since they didn't go on until 11:30, Laney began by making a toast to all the people who had to get up early and got to work tomorrow.

Fortunately, I'm not one of them.

Their set began with Laney walking through the restaurant playing her song flute and carrying burning incense while Jameson beat on his drum.

They truly are RVA's own world music duo.

Laney explained that her harmonium was new, having been acquired during their month in India, "So me and the harmonium are still getting to know each other."

Promising several spiritual songs, the did an intense version of "O Come, All Ye faithful" which morphed seamlessly into an Indian chant.

After their classic crowd-pleaser, "Celebrate" they did another mash-up, this one beginning with a dirge-like "O Holy Night."

Next to Jameson, one of the plastic wise men flickered on and off throughout as if in time or perhaps as a commentary on their unconventional arrangements.

The musician next to me turned and commented on how their sincerity was as much a part of their performance as their musicianship.

"This is such a genuine experience," he said. "It almost gives me the vapors."

Quick, the smelling salts. You don't want to miss even a moment of a musical evening like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment