Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tongue to Tongue

Last year, it was a first day hike.

This year, a first day brunch.

When a friend and I heard that Pasture was doing a Mexican brunch, we immediately committed to it.

I'd been to Comfort's Mexican brunch a couple of years ago and remember the thrill of eating off a south of the border menu instead of the usual southern comfort food.

This was to be the same thing.

Walking in to a half full restaurant, the hostess, looking cute in a ruffled skirt and boots, led us to a front window table.

I'd expected a bigger crowd, but it was already going on 3:00 and apparently the crowds had arrived en masse on the dot of 11 when they first opened.

My question was, who the hell is up that early on New Year's Day? And why?

The menu was far more extensive than what I'd remembered last time, meaning the decision making process was more challenging.

All except the given, tacos lingua.

Must have braised beef tongue when available.

So Friend and I split an order of three, making for his first tongue taco experience, a fact I took great pleasure in.

And of course he loved them, finding the tomatillo salsa and cheese a yummy addition to the long-cooked slices of tongue.

He even went so far as to make corny jokes about being glad he'd brushed his teeth before going tongue to tongue with his lunch.

Wah, wah.

When our server returned to find an empty plate mere minutes later, he observed, "Guess you didn't like those."

Everyone's a comedian on New Year's Day.

Up next for me was a tostada with braised chicken in red chile sauce and pickled slaw on top.

The deep flavor of the chicken and chile was satisfying, especially on a gray and damp afternoon.

The new tongue lover got seared Scottish salmon in Mexico City-style green pumpkin seed sauce, wrapping bits of fish in the accompanying flour tortillas and oohing and ahhing over the sauce.

All I know is the bites he shared with me would make a salmon lover swoon.

As we lingered in the front window eating our first brunch of 2013, we talked about our New Year's eves (he worked, I played), his love life ("I don't need any more women right now!" he said about being introduced to one) and about people who are up for anything.

We agreed that they're the best kind.

When our server came to inquire if we needed coffee or tequila (hmmm, how did he know?), my friend piped up, saying, "How about dessert?"

The choices included the "candy bar" that we'd devoured at our last Pasture lunch, as well as three other options.

My friend dithered over choosing until I finally laid it out there. "You know you want the candy bar, so just get it," I bossed him.

"Yea, you're right," he admitted sheepishly and a candy bar was delivered post haste.

If you've never had this combination of dark chocolate pate over peanut butter with a mound of thick caramel beside it, be forewarned.

Despite how obscenely rich it is, you will eat every bite.

And if you're sharing with, say, a good friend, eat quickly or risk a fork in your hand.

Once the sweet course was finished, we looked around and realized we were one of only two tables left, despite another hour before brunch ended.

Walking out onto Grace Street, the bells of the church across the street were ringing, making for a symbolic reminder of the new year we were ringing in with our shared meal.

I was even thanked for being such a good friend, a compliment I returned.

Sure, a first day hike would have been nice, but 2013 got off to a terrific start with sharing food and conversation with someone who's heard all my stories and knows where all the bodies were buried over the past four tumultuous years.

I'd even go so far as to say starting the year with him is a good omen for the coming year.

Come on, lucky '13, bring it on.

2 comments: