Saturday, November 24, 2012

Musique Rock in the Afternoon

Everyone should be so lucky.

My neighborhood record store was presenting music today on this third day of the holiday weekend, with Malhombre playing to tout their single release.

I'd yet to hear Malhombre but since the band is comprised of Blasco (whom I first saw at the Listening Room over two years ago) and Giustino Riccio (whom I know well from Fuzzy Baby, Bio Ritmo, the Garbers), I'd heard the parts.

Now it was time for the sum.

I walked in to find a friend looking cute in her new thrift store outfit and we passed time waiting for the band to set up talking about thrift stores and perusing vinyl.

In a continental touch, over in the corner they were serving mimosas.

In the "Holiday" section, we found all kinds of childhood memories - Johnny Mathis. Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Elvis, the Supremes- and some not-so-familiar ones ("Disco Holidays"?).

My memories of seeing Blasco were that many of his songs were in French and that he had a wonderful smoldering dark quality to his music and presence.

This afternoon, I got all that and more because Malhombre rocked more than he did solo.

And why not with the very talented Giustino drumming?

To introduce their single, Blasco said, "This is the song on the single that you will want to buy."

He didn't even tell us it was a red vinyl single.

Sung in French, "Musique Rock" was a kick-ass song that took Blasco beyond the emotive singer-songwriter I'd previously seen.

"Lies" was introduced as, "I wrote this song after seeing a movie called "Romantico," a documentary about romantic music. I thought I'd try to write a song like that."

The resulting "Lies" sounded like heartbreak set to guitar and drums.

Just beautiful.

I think you nailed that one, my friend.

Another song began with the surfiest of guitars which alternated with dark, brooding parts and full-on rock.

After every song, Blasco would look up expectantly, as if trying to gauge the crowd's reaction to his material.

Let's just say people were going over to the counter to purchase the single even while he was still playing.

When Malhombre finished up their set in the sunlight-filled record store, we'd been treated to a set of music best described as French with Spanish roots (he emigrated from France in the '90s) with a sharp turn into rock territory.

Giustino and Blasco created a whole lot of sound for just two people, but then they're both awfully talented people.

Me, I'm just one of the lucky ones who spent my Saturday afternoon listening to their multi-lingual rocking out.

Jackson Ward can be so continental, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment