Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Locavore Loss

Tonight was Sprout Cafe's last night in business.

As someone who has eaten brunch, lunch and dinner, enjoyed more than a few drinks and heard countless bands play there, I am understandably upset about the loss.

Sprout's devotion to Virginia sourcing and live music made them practically a weekly destination for me.

That ended tonight with a full house, most of whom I had never laid eyes on before, despite being a regular.

It was interesting; looking around at the crowd, a friend commented on all the unfamiliar faces. Actually, so did the staff.

Proving the maxim that you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it, loads of people showed up tonight, probably giving Sprout a banner night in sales.

Unfortunately, not in time. Likewise, the FB response has been effusive and sentimental but likely not representative of how often people actually spent money at Sprout.

Still, better late than never.

By the time I arrived, their to-die-for sausage pizettas were history and the menu was down to just three items, all vegetarian.

I got the Feta cheese hushpuppies with a spicy dipping sauce and some Vinho Verde so I could (figuratively) cry into my wine.

Two bands played while I was there, but for a change I stayed in the main room chatting with friends and giving my eardrums a break.

As a friend pointed out tonight, some people complained about Sprout's prices, but an Extreme pizza runs $20, he said, so it's all about where you want your dining dollar to go.

There's a lot to be said for using it to keep Virginia's economy moving forward.

I don't know if I'll ever again be treated to a chocolate cake made with Virginia flour, milk, eggs and butter like I was the very first time I ate at Sprout.

It's not just my loss. It's Richmond's loss.

As owner Laurie pragmatically said tonight, "I hope it inspires someone else to carry it forward."

We can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. ..can't believe it.. went about three or four times..always good..what a loss? Had no idea they were in trouble.

    ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a real shame. They will be missed.

    ReplyDelete