Saturday, June 18, 2011

When is Meat Fest?

Even a swine-lover can find reason to go to the Vegetarian Festival.

Friends invited me to join them in the 90-degree heat at Bryan Park for the annual event and since I didn't have any plans for a few hours, why not?

I slathered on sunscreen, grabbed a straw hat and bottle of water and I was ready to go meatless.

We arrived at peak time and were directed to the outermost parking area near the front of the park. No problem since I always enjoy a good walk. Up and over the hills we went.

One thing you can always count on at the Veggie Fest is dozens of dogs and today was no different. Some of the tiniest dogs risked being trampled underfoot given the crowds, not that their owners seemed to notice.

Walking in, I was immediately surprised to see Carytown Burger and Fries, but their menu demonstrated that they have a kinder, gentler veggie side (of which I'd been largely unaware) and the lines were long for the garden burgers, mushroom burgers, bean burgers and other non-meat options.

I got spring rolls from Ginger Thai and my friends gravitated to Ma-Musus's African Cuisine for bean cakes, sweet fried plantains and sweet cornbread.

We tried non-dairy coconut milk "ice cream" sandwiches which I liked because I'm a coconut fan. We sampled vegan chocolate (better than I expected) from Whole Foods, vegan chocolate cake from Good Foods Grocery and pita crackers with tomato bruschetta from Trader Joe's.

The people watching is so great at Veggie Fest. Of course there are an inordinate number of plugs and tattoos. I saw a belly dancer in full regalia with a flowered parasol.

Classic rock covers were being provided courtesy of Tina Marie and Vinyl Tease, a band I'd never heard of but my friends had.

One of my favorite local bands, Marionette, was up next but I had to go before they came on. Pity because enjoying them under the shade of the park's big old trees would have been lovely..

A Baby Boomer wore a Neil Young "Harvest" t-shirt while a 19-year old wore "The Smiths." Size aside, I feel pretty sure either would have been satisfied with the other's shirt.

After walking the perimeter of the festival a couple of times, we headed back to our distant parking space. On the way, we saw a bumper sticker that said it all.

Eat like you give a damn.

It's a sentiment I can get behind, whether scarfing down plantains or pork. And I intend to keep eating both.

No comments:

Post a Comment