Thursday, March 3, 2011

Let Me Count the PBR Cans

Music theorists often use mathematics to understand music.

Number of bands performing at the Camel tonight: 5
Number of hours the show lasted: 4 1/2
Number of covers: 1 (Railway Children's "Every Beat of the Heart")
Number of musicians (total) playing: 16
Number of picks lost: 1
Number of musicians onstage for Adah's set: 9
Number of guitarists writhing on the floor: 1
Number of mics used by Snowy Owls low-voiced vocalist Matt: 2
Number of guitars replaced mid-set: 1
Number of empty PBR cans: too many to count

The multi-talented Dave Watkins opened the show promptly at 8:00 with an electric guitar instead of his usual dulcitar and a loop pedal. As usual, he captured every person in the room with his skill and musicality.

Snowy Owls could have used a boost on Matt's vocals but their shimmering sound is a favorite of mine and the song "Lakes" so my style that it could have been written for me.

It was my first time seeing Climbers, a trio with a knack for a huge sound. Their drummer was a show in and of himself with his loose limbs and busy styling.

I've seen At the Stars lots of times, unlike many of my friends at tonight's show, so I knew to expect Britpop proficiency and polished sound. Even so, Steven's guitar playing always impresses me.

Adah and guests from the previous bands closed the show with two drummers, four guitarists (five when Joon wasn't playing violin), bass, keyboards, knob turner and two vocalists.

Interestingly enough, lead singer Joon positions his mic to face the side rather than the audience; I don't think it's anything personal, but he's never looking at us (his bangs don't help). He also ends up on the floor playing guitar, both on his knees and on his back. Now that's entertainment.

When I first arrived, a stranger immediately invited me to sit next to him at the bar. Instead I stood and he insisted on buying me a glass of wine (bartender: "Just let him"). He wanted to talk about me and I wanted to talk about the upcoming music.

When Dave Watkins began playing, I moved away from the bar to better hear the show, telling the guy that he was going to enjoy these bands. He later found me and raved about how right I was about Dave's music ("Good thing I didn't smoke a doobie first or I would've got lost in it").

It was a satisfying moment, but not my favorite one. That came about with some quick-witted friend humor.

Two musician friends sitting next to me had a sudden whispered conversation mid-song, both finishing with big smiles. Don't smile around me and not share; I wanted to know what they'd said.

"We were talking about how hot you look tonight," one cracked, breaking the cardinal friend rule of non-commentary about such things.

Smacking him, I said, "You were not. What was it really?"

"We said these guys would be great on a bill with Louisiana Territory," he said. Now that's more like it: musician geek talk. I knew it. I settled back in my chair satisfied.

"And then we said you look really hot tonight."

Equal and abundant points for musicianship and humor. How many points?

One for every empty PBR can in the room tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karen: I've got a couple of suburbanites coming Friday night to visit Richmond - any suggestions as to where to go? Any good bands playing? I'm thinking pub crawl but any advice you'd have would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Linda, you trust your friends to a stranger's opinion? I'm flattered!

    Not sure if you want to keep them in their comfort zone or challenge them, so here's a few possibilties...

    If you want jazz, Emilio's is a good Friday spot. Doc Branch and the Keynotes are reliably good.

    Balliceaux is a great spot to show off to visitors. Amazing Ghost is playing Friday and features some of Richmond's best jazz musicians doing fun rock and roll.

    For smooth Brazilian jazz, stop by Bogart's in the Fan for Bossa Brava.

    The Continentals (polka band) are kicking off Capital Ale House's German celebration Friday. Good beer and rousing polkas, what could wow your friends more?

    You'll find me at Sprout for a terrific bill: locals the Low Branches (hushed folk) and Savannah's Lady Lazarus (dreamy pop) are playing a 10:00 show.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete