Saturday, February 5, 2011

Serenaded by Smokers

Walking up Grace Street this morning, I heard someone coughing up a lung before I ever saw him.

And when I did see the source of the sound, it was actually two guys standing on their front porch, each with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. Grinning at their breakfast of champions I said good morning with a big smile.

As if on cue, they began singing in unison to me.

Baby, baby, baby girl
Baby, baby, baby girl
Baby, baby, baby girl
Baby, baby, be mine tonight

I couldn't help myself. I stopped. I turned around. I clapped.

They took a deep bow over the porch railing, smiling and nodding, acknowledging their fan base of one.

I can never overstate the random pleasures of a walk on Grace Street on a damp Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment