Monday, July 19, 2010

Romance on the High Seas

Just because I'm not yet ready to date doesn't mean I'm not fascinated with braver friends who are.

Tonight I met up with a girlfriend at Olio for dinner and to hear about her impending romantic dating adventures on the left coast. The food was great but her man plans were even better.

After having consumed copious amounts of barbecue yesterday, I was in need of a green dinner and found it in the form of a turkey, avocado and apple salad with a side of corn/chickpea/green bean/tomato salad.

My friend, trying to eat healthier (a stage I am well past) or perhaps concerned with upcoming body revelations, opted for one of the specials, a walleye and mahi mahi burrito with mango chutney in a spinach tortilla, when what she actually wanted was the prime rib sandwich special.

Never settle, friend.

I'd tell you about the bottle of wine we had, but it disappeared so quickly I never even noticed what it was (kidding...a pinot gris, but whose I couldn't tell you).

Dessert was a shared molten chocolate lava cake for the sake of a diversion during the sharing part of the evening (or perhaps I'm sublimating my feelings in food).

I have to admit I was enthralled by the details she was sharing.

My friend is shortly leaving for California to rendezvous with a man she met while on a business trip there a few weeks ago.

They randomly met one night and talked non-stop until 4:30 a.m., always a good sign (would that I had someone I wanted to talk to until 4:30 in the morning).

The next day, she barely made it to the airport before calling him and suggesting that she return for more conversation in a few weeks.

He was impressed that she'd offered. She was impressed with his bravado ("I'm not scared of you," he told her, clearly indicating that he was).

They have developed a plan whereby she's going to fly 3,000 miles to have a 2 1/2 day date aboard his rather large sailboat.

For propriety's sake the boat has two staterooms, both of which, he informed her, now have clean sheets.

The plan is to spend the days teaching her to sail and when the appeal of lessons wears thin, he wants to cook for her.

Thoughtfully, he's laid in a case and a half of her favorite wine and cheeses for their happy hour pleasure.

They even like the same music, no small matter in my humble opinion.

I knew my friend was excited about the potential of this tryst when she told me about all the new clothing she'd bought for it.

She is only a year out of a six-year relationship that ended unexpectedly and this is her first foray into throwing caution to the wind and just letting whatever happens happen.

I am in awe of her nerve and only wish she could share it with me.

Over a final glass of wine across the street at Bacchus, she told me how excited she is about the great unknown potential of this adventure.

She's afraid to be optimistic and end up disappointed, despite all indicators being positive.

I was trying to be a cheerleader, encouraging her to finally open up and let someone in, especially someone who'd already asked if he could kiss her (she said no).

Not that I have any right to tell anyone what to do in the romance department, but I felt like she needed the bolstering.

Even if I can't put myself out there yet, I want to know someone who can.

And then maybe she can tell me what the secret is. At the very least, it's like sneaking a peek at a romance novel, something I would never do otherwise.

Even at this stage, the appeal of happily ever after is still incredibly strong.

My friends haven't teased me about being hopelessly romantic all these years without reason.

It could happen...couldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment