Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Serenity Now...Before My Head Explodes

It's a good thing I already had plans for a road trip today because I was in desperate need of some time to think...and reflect...and maybe think some more. So much seems to be happening lately and sorting it out away from the computer and other distractions offered the best way to get my head around it all.

I had plans to meet an old friend, this guy here, for lunch in Fredericksburg; our last three assignations had been in D.C., but I wanted to drive Route 301 today, knowing it would be a scenic drive after the recent snow. It was, too, with endless snow-covered fields that invited contemplation and almost nothing to distract me from my thoughts.

When we arrived at Bistro Bethem, they put us at our usual table and my friend got his usual lunch, the wood-oven pizza. I had potato leek soup and the three-cheese grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. We finished with the pot de creme au chocolat with pine nut brittle (I do love brittle of any kind and despite my grandmother having told me it would pull all my teeth out, they're all still there).

Since he's been a fan since before I was legal, I can tell him anything and I had loads to share and solicit his opinion on. He knows me too well ("This is what you should do and this is what you'll actually do," he told me honestly) and still makes me laugh out loud; one outburst was so noisy, he actually apologized for making me react so loudly. You have to hang on to friends who can do that for you.

Of course, there are no solutions to all the things swirling around in my head except how I alone choose to react and I'm leaning towards just being myself up and seeing what's offered. I can't be sure that this state of mind is not of my own design; even I can only overthink things for so long. Besides, maybe these aren't thinking issues so much as feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment