Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pack a Musical Bag and Go

Set aside an hour and a half and I can guarantee you an utterly unique and completely brilliant adventure that'll be part urban scavenger hunt, part site-specific musical experience and in all likelihood, move you in the process.

Black Iris on Broad Street is the host for "Low Frequency Travel Agency," the source for this splendid undertaking, whereby you schedule an appointment to pick up a suitcase and map.

The map directs you on a journey through the city and the suitcase holds the speaker and a map; you push a button for the location and hear an original composition by the incomparable Nelly Kate specifically written for that place.

Included in the suitcase is a journal for you to record your impressions- musical, nature, urbanscape or whatever you want- of each experience if you so choose.

I was amazed that a woman with an old, green suitcase with music pouring out of it didn't merit more attention, but that's the beauty of this undertaking: it's really about you, the music created for these places and how it all moves you, passersby be damned.

Instructed to tuck into the entrance of a hanger, I was presented with a view of Richmond I'd never seen before, yet barely a mile from my house.

Taking a listen at a place on the river I'd never been to, I was greeted by a stray cat and a sign informing me it's illegal to keep herring because of an unexplained drop in their numbers in the mid-Atlantic.

Sitting on a bench smack in the middle of three streets, I saw not another soul and felt worlds away from humanity.

When instructed to pick a tunnel, I ignored the ones with water rushing through and the dry ones for the only one that had a bit of both.

And every piece of music Nelly had written for the locations made for a transcendent moment when experienced in situ, sometimes mirroring the feel of the place and other times reminding you of its history or future.

I came back from my urban trek feeling like I had seen the city in a whole new way.

The nearest thing I've ever experienced was Doug Aitken's "Song 1" projected on the Hirshorn, with images of people singing, driving, working and playing cards set to the classic song "I Only Have Eyes for You" and sung by everyone from Beck and Devendra Banhart to James Murphy and John Legend.

And as magnificent as that had been, this tops that because it's all about Richmond. A local space, a local musician and six choice Richmond spots with their own musical soundtrack.

You only have until December 20th to check out a suitcase and it's as easy as e-mailing Black Iris (benjamin@blackiris.tv) and telling them the day and time you want yours. Free, of course.

I promise it'll be the best thing you'll do all week and probably all month. Bravo, Black Iris and Nelly Kate.

During my urban escapade, I happened to park beside a car with a bumper sticker that said it all.

Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.

Music in a suitcase can be heard in Richmond and it's there, waiting for you to experience.

Do it. It'll be an unforgettable trip, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Makes me wish I lived in Richmond (and not 300 miles away!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're going to hold the show over indefinitely, so if you get up to Richmond in the next six months, check it out!

    ReplyDelete