Sunday, December 2, 2012

Curtain Call

To a theater-lover, it was a thing of beauty.

I walked into my neighborhood joint, Bistro 27, around 6:00 to find it easily 80% full.

Granted, we were the only ones at the bar, but there were very few empty tables.

Everywhere I looked, couples, groups and families were talking, laughing and eating.

It was so lively it could have been staged.

We took bar seats and cracked the wine list; by the time we'd decided on a Sangiovese, every table was taken.

Within minutes, every bar stool. And then there were people standing just to wait for a stool.

Be still, my dramatic heart.

Don't get me wrong, the meal was lovely, too.

A Caesar salad boasted loads of anchovies and gnocchi with duck ragout had a deep heartiness and was full of duck meat.

Even the fresh tomato and garlic aioli that came with the bread was worthy of not only of commentary but of using every last scrap of bread in the basket.

But my favorite part of it all was that most of these people were theater-bound.

Virginia Rep's rousing production of "The Producers" and Richmond Shakespeare's lyrical "A Child's Christmas in Wales" are playing just across the street from 27.

Tonight was also the Richmond Symphony Pop's "Let It Snow" performance with the talented, lanky and Jewish symphony librarian Matt Gold playing Santa.

That alone would have been worth the price of admission.

I'd heard from someone in the know that Theater VCU's "Avenue Q" sold out the entire weekend days ago (and deservedly so).

Then there was "How the Grinch Stole Christmas: The Musical" playing mere blocks away at the Landmark.

That would be the same green guy who was in the Christmas parade this morning.

If I had to guess, I'd wager that everyone in that dining room had theater tickets in their pocket or waiting for them at Will Call.

We wanted hazelnut chocolate torte for dessert, but given the waiting throngs and impending curtain calls, we ceded our seats and took dessert home instead.

For years now I've been going to Bistro 27, not just because it's within easy walking distance, but because I love the friendly vibe and stellar food.

I've often seen neighbors there, I've heard bands there, I've done New Year's eve and Easter there, but I don't think I've ever seen every single table taken with pre-theater goers.

The late, great lyricist and producer Oscar Hammerstein once said, "The number of people who will not go to a show they do not want to see is unlimited."

Sorry, Oscar baby, but I'm going to have to put a more positive spin on that thought.

The number of people in Richmond who will go to a show and want to eat out first nearby is unlimited.

Why, it's practically proof positive that we're becoming a real theater town.

Now if only we could have more places where we could eat after the show.

Can I get an "amen" from the theater community?

2 comments:

  1. Not to squash your positive spin or take away your giddiness. Is there good theatre in the capital city? Yes of course. In some ways it's always been here. Does any other metropolitan area consider Richmond a theatre town? Hardly.

    glad you're enjoying yourself...

    cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say the state of Richmond theater is at an all-time high right now.

    Always enjoying myself, you know that!

    ReplyDelete