Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day at the Empress

What was I thinking eating breakfast at 10:30 when I had lunch plans at 11:30? And, let me assure you, 11:30 lunching was not my idea.

But I made the best of practically overlapping meals by choosing one of my favorite places, The Empress for us to eat. My friend had never been in and was tired of hearing me sing its praises (the food, the pricing, the relaxed ambiance) without some practical experience of her own.

We walked in to find only one other table occupied and they were ordering wine at 11:45, so my friend was sold right off the bat. It wasn't long before other tables began to fill up, including one of green-dressed women (and that would include one who had on a green shirt, green bracelets, green necklace and green earrings). Happy St. Patrick's Day overkill!

My friend chose the Prosciutto panini with sun-dried tomato, Gruyere and basil pesto on challah with a side of brocolini; I got the always-excellent arugula salad with garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, chicken, aged Fontina and red wine vinaigrette, but in the half portion given my all too-recent breakfast. In the spirit of the day, we both had lots of green on our plates.

Tucking into our tasty lunches in a sunny window seat, I could see that my friend was completely sold on the place. When Chef Carly came by to see how we'd liked her handiwork, I complimented her inclusion in Style's State of the Plate's favorite dishes section.

Her bacon-wrapped dates, of which I am a devoted fan, were more than worthy of being showcased, but I told her that if it had been up to me to choose an Empress favorite, it would have been the green eggs and lamb. They are a brunch superstar in RVA as far as I'm concerned.

Carly grinned and said, "And if it had been up to me, I'd have picked the stuffed and roasted acorn squash," a delight of wild mushrooms, feta cheese, oats, caramelized onions, and roasted grape tomatoes.

Which just about proved the case I had been making to my friend about The Empress: the range of creative and memorable food will never disappoint.

If it weren't for having just consumed two meals in two hours, I'd have put the final touch on my closing argument by ordering one of the stellar desserts, but I just didn't have it in me.

And then I would have had to make the always-tough choice of which one...the chocolate soup? the chocolate/banana crepes? the award-winning chili chocolate pate?

But that might have been taken as more St. Patrick's Day lunch overkill, just not of the green variety.

2 comments:

  1. Amongst your strong suits, your alliteration runs strong. Suits you to a green tee. Be safe, or better yet, be in Dublin any time of year. It's always safe to be and always green in some part. Should it suit you strong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alliteration is one of my favorite literary devices, so thank you for noticing, cw.

    Dublin is on my list of places to see. Working on that list now...

    ReplyDelete